[Nut-upsuser] nut server without nut-client/monitor?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Apr 7 13:08:19 BST 2023

Orion Poplawski via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net>
writes:

> To explain the motivation behind my question - I'm looking at tweaking
> the Fedora RPMs and noticed that currently the "nut" server package
> requires the "nut-client" package to also be installed (though not the
> reverse obviously).  With some effort we can split things up so one
> could install just the "nut" package.  But I'm thinking this really
> isn't particularly useful or interesting.  But I figured I would ask.

That question makes a lot more sense!

I maintain the nut package in pkgsrc, and we have one for server and
clients, but without usb, and then one with usb.  The basic one is only
10 MB.   But pkgsrc tends to split less than many GNU/Linux
distributions.

I can't imagine wanting to have the server without "upsc" in any even
slightly normal system.  Running upsc tells you the status, and even if
you don't really care about most of that, confirms that the server is
working.  It would really be an extreme embedded case to want to save
that space, and then it would be far more important to remove all
drivers that are not for your hardware, SNMP and USB support if not
used, etc.  Put another way, it's like ntpd without ntpq.

You might want to split out nut-scanner.  But it's not really that big,
and I'm not sure how the maintenance effort trades off with space
savings.

All in all I find it sensible for the package with ${prefix}/sbin/upsd
and ${prefix}/libexec/[drivers] to depend on nut-client.  It's hard to
think of an actual user that would be bothered by this, that wouldn't
also want to hand-pick everything else about their system, because say
they are fitting in 4 MB of flash on an embedded box that does only
limited things.