[Nut-upsuser] Synthesize low batt (LB) fron SNMP UPS whichdoesnot support this?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed May 17 07:46:14 BST 2023

On 5/17/23 01:13, Carsten Aulbert wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
> On 5/16/23 21:08, gene heskett wrote:
>
>> Take an extra vitamin b1 and start hacking ;o)
> yeah ;-)
>>
>> Seriously, if its that important, do as I did when my last wife was
>> dying of COPD.
>
> :( sorry to hear
>
>> Leave your ups setup as is but for under $10k (USD), have an automatic
>> home sized standby generator installed to run the important stuff,
>
> no room for that and also our set-up is kind of large, the two UPS
> systems I'm talking about are 800kVA each and without doing the actual
> maths, I'd guess we would need at least a 100kW generator.
>
> That would come with all sort of other problems (getting a room,
> deciding whether to run all the time for quick mains sync, i.e.
> generator wheel is powered by mains when not needed, fuel exchange every
> few months as gas add-ons tend to flocculate(?) when stored too long, ...).
>
> So, I doubt that will materialize any time soon ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Carsten

Looking at your sig, which I didn't do before, I'd have to agree, You
would likely outgrow a 100kw rig. I am a CET and a long retired tv chief
engineer. 100 to 150 is covered by Cummins quite well with the 335
series, I had a 150 rated cummins at one of the tv stations I was in
charge of for several years.  Didn't put enough time on it to use up the
#2 oil, but we did have a deal with the local conoco dealer to trade out
whatever was left in the 500 gallon fuel tank for fresh #2 about every 2
years. That 150 required we throttle the transmitter as its normal draw
was around 275kw, a uhf on channel 19.  Klystrons are hungry and
gawddawful $$ beasts. The throttle method fouled up the tuning too. Even
throttled, the max that 335 could muster was around 59 hz as it was
running at full song to get that. Klystrons have been supplanted by
better tech for around 40 years now, and I may be the last man standing
who could pull one out of its shipping casket, dress it up and put it on
the air. Even that will come to and end as I'm now 88, running on a
pacemaker and a TAVR valve in my heart. I'm doing well considering though.

Take care & stay well, Carsten.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis