[sane-devel] Fujitsu fi-60F small document scanner

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 18:43:22 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Rob Shortt <rob at tvcentric.com> wrote:
> Rob Shortt wrote:
> > I have put my notes on the web, including my pic of the board with all
> > of the major chips labeled:  http://tvcentric.com/notes/fi-60F/
>
> Hi again everyone.  I really need to get this scanner going (I bet
> you've heard that before!), so I am going to move forward on it myself.
>
> Just to reitterate, this scanner has an Epson chipset, and also requires
> firmware.  I was able to get the firmware file from the windows drivers.
>  Please revisit the above link if you're interested.
>
> This machine dual boots to windows and I have a usbsnoop log of
> connecting the device.  I will be capturing some more logs but first I
> need to learn how to read them.

nope. you collect them. then you learn what they mean. wash, rinse, repeat.

> Can anyone lead me to some docs in how to best put these logs to use?
> What should I be looking for, register addresses and such?  Does the log
> format help much in analyzing the commands?

well, i ran the log you have thru spike4.pl, and its pretty much all 1
or 2 byte reads/writes, other than the fw upload and an obvious indent
query in Urb 28. you may never be able to find out the purpose of all
those commands, but they can possibly be left out, or if not, you just
repeat them.

> Thank you for any further help!

get a series of windows traces of small (resolution and scan area)
color/gray/binary scans. post the raw ones where folks can see them.
then clean them up with your choice of tools from the
experimental/usbsnoop dir.

take the attached libusb prog and use it to simulate one of those
traces. keep your hand on the power cord :) and see if you can get
blocks of data out of it.

allan