[sane-devel] Preparing for a sane-backends release

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Sep 13 01:38:06 UTC 2015

Hi Dieter,

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza writes:

> Hi Olaf,
>> *****
>> Me wonders too.  I haven't seen one this century.  I even wonder if SCSI
>> scanners still need to be supported.
>> *****
> happily using my HP6300C through the SCSI bus with sane ... I do not know how
> many people like me are "out in the wild", but I am glad to have sane support
> this - one can buy such devices for close to nothing and they simply do what
> they were built to do, maybe slow, but who cares .... ;-)
>
> So, if it was me to decide (it is not, I know :-)) I wouldn't drop SCSI
> support if it is not causing harm ...

Thanks for the feedback.

I realize quite a few people "out in the wild" are using old scanners.
I have an EPSON GT-7600U sitting on my desk here ;-)

I don't think SANE should drop support for anything as long as there are
developers willing (and able) to maintain it.  The question then is, are
there any?  We can get back to that after the release.  Let's get a long
overdue release out first.

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join