[sane-devel] Problem with Sane over network

Luca Bertoncello lucabert at lucabert.de
Sun Apr 12 19:47:59 BST 2020

Am 12.04.2020 um 20:22 schrieb Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza:

Hi Dieter,

> can you ping the scanner from your "other" PC? If not you will have to find

Of course, they do...

> the reason for this. I would start with all devices in the same network and
> verify whether or not you can ping the scanner device. If not there i> something utterly wrong with your network configuration.

I created a VM in the same network of the Raspi, with Debian Buster, too.
I installed a fresh sane on this VM and tried to detect the scanner.
Nothing...
I see in the syslog of the Raspi, that the VM is authorized (access
granted), I see with tcpdump on both devices data, but scanimage does
NOT detect any network scanner...
No Firewall between the devices, no network restriction, same version of
all programs.

Curiously, I can see Broadbast packets sent from both the Raspi and the
VM, but the answer to these queries comes just from the network printers
in the network.

> Moreover: if your scanner should be promoted on a net that is not routed
> through the ethernet or wlan card you'll have difficulties to get things up
> and running.

The network 192.168.5.0/24 is my network for printers. It has access to
my NTP-Server and my Mail-Server and my PC-Network (192.168.10.0/24) has
full access to the printer network.
With all printers and the old scanner (HP OfficeJet 6500a) it works...

Any idea?

Thanks
Luca Bertoncello
(lucabert at lucabert.de)