[sane-devel] Help decoding Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II USB protocol

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:25:52 GMT 2022

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 10:18 AM Giovanni Cappellotto <potomak84 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You’re right, I was using avision.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, I guess I could try that.
>
> Last time I was hacking the avision backed, I remember the source code had
> a lot of additional complexity because it was supporting tens of different
> scanners. Supposedly some changes for supporting a particular scanner broke
> the support for Minolta Dimage.
>
> I’m wondering if you have docs or other resources I can use to reverse
> engineer the scanner protocol from the logs I can collect from the original
> windows driver.

I believe that there are some Avision protocol docs around but IIRC they
are held by folks under NDA so probably no help there. From what I have
been able to gather, Avision themselves did have a hand in the making the
avision backend, but I doubt that they would be interested in helping out
there now.

> For instance I think I identified 3 different endpoints looking at the
> sniffer logs, but I’m not sure their meaning. 0x01 seems some kind of
> command endpoint, 0x83 receives and sends a lot of information, 0x82
> receives and responds with zeroes and seems like an endpoint used to
> complete a command.
>
> Maybe I can share the full log I collected and get help to recreate a
> backend specific for Minolta Dimage?
>
> Sure, generate a  diag log and send it to us. We might be able to figure
out what is going on. I would certainly look at the forking issue and try
the fix that was suggested in the link I provided. From what I gather,
process forking is like kryptonite to libusb. Threading is a better option.

Cheers,
Ralph